One good thing about neuropsychological tests is that you don’t need to study for them!
There are, however, a few things you can do that will help you be ready for your evaluation.
- Make sure you have completed all forms prior to your appointment.
- Get a good night’s rest before the evaluation.
- Do not use substances (drugs, alcohol) in the days leading up to your evaluation. (Use of these substances can make it more difficult to understand your thinking skills, and may also cause your insurance company to refuse coverage of the testing!)
- Please do not wear perfume, cologne, or other scented products on the day of the appointment, as the doctor and many patients are allergic.
- Eat a good breakfast on the morning you are coming in. (We will take food breaks when you need them, but you’ll feel better if you get off to a good start!)
- Take your medications as prescribed on the day of the evaluation, UNLESS you and Dr. Imber have discussed this and she has advised you otherwise.
- Dress for comfort, in layered clothing, and be ready to sit for long periods.
- If you have a sensory cushion or other sensory/fidget “toys,” feel free to bring them.
- Bring eyeglasses and any medications you may need to take during the day.
- Plan to turn off your cell phone and/or pager during the evaluation.
- Bring your own lunch with icepack, or money to spend at the nearby restaurants.
- Download ParkingPass, the parking app for the city of Newton, or bring money for parking, if you are driving to the evaluation (the town meters may still take quarters).